Improving your endurance doesn’t have to be a difficult task if you focus on training the right way. Here are nine ways that you can help to improve your endurance and conquer that next marathon or obstacle course:
1. Incorporate HIIT/Sprint Intervals: HIIT- short for High Intensity Interval Training- combines short bursts of high intensity work with longer bursts of recovery work.
2. Combine Strength Training and Cardio: Although it makes sense that to improve your endurance, you should focus on cardio, you should also be focusing on improving your strength, particularly in your legs. By strengthening your legs, you’ll condition them to be more powerful and last longer during your endurance event.
3. Shorter Rest Periods: By decreasing the length of your rest periods, you are forcing your body to work at a higher intensity for longer periods of time, which in turn trains your body to perform at that intensity with little to no rest needed.
4. Incorporate Plyometric Exercises: The explosive movements found in plyometric training challenges your body in strength and endurance and take a lot of energy to complete. Before you know it, you’ll notice that the explosive movements have actually made you faster when doing normal endurance activities.
5. Mix It Up: Your muscles get used to your routine after roughly 2-4 weeks so be sure to change up your program every month or so to force your body to use different muscles. Plus, as an added benefit, you can prevent overuse injuries that are common to endurance athletes by changing up your workout routine every month.
6. Rest: Your body needs to rest in order to recover and repair the damage to the muscles from your workouts. Be sure to give yourself at least one dedicated day of rest to allow this to happen. Sacrificing your rest day can actually do more damage by inhibiting you from performing at your highest intensity so while it may be difficult to do, this is one time that it is absolutely fine to not work out.
7. Nutrition: It goes without saying that we should make quality food choices when it comes to our nutrition, but this is particularly true for endurance athletes. Food is fuel and without eating properly, endurance athletes bodies will not perform anywhere near what they are capable of.
8. Headphones In: This tip, while simple, is sometimes just what is needed to increase your endurance. Put your headphones in with the music you love and shut out the rest of the world. You’ll pick up the pace and before you know it, you’ve gone farther and faster than ever before. Let that music move you!
9. Schedule It: If you don’t workout, you won’t make progress, so while this seems like it’s common sense, scheduling your workouts is actually imperative. Schedule your workout, stick to it, and watch your endurance follow.
Give these tips a try and see how fast you can improve your endurance.
Kayla Tocco is an ACE-Certified Personal Trainer and NPC Bikini Competitor who lives in Las Vegas with her amazing husband, Chris and their adorable son, Landen. When she’s not spending time with her family, working out or writing training programs for her clients, you can usually find her reading anything she can get her hands on and salivating over donuts and mexican food. You can hire Kayla’s services or find out more about her by visiting her website and blog at www.kaylatoccofitness.com and following her on social media (links on her website.)